Thursday, April 14, 2005

My Own French Maid (A Tribute To My Little Sis)

You all didn't know that 'Girl Friday' has a french maid now did you! She comes in the form of my younger sister Beka! Never could I have a more convenient person in my entourage! She advises my on the arrangement of my hair, the use of cosmetics and perfume, what to wear to specific events, which shoes to put with the outfit, what ear-rings, etc... What does it cost to keep such wonderful help you ask? Not a cent! Her salary is the privilege of sometimes borrowing articles of my clothing, or jewelry when she wishes to. It is a very agreeable arrangement on both sides.

This past vacation I was without my wonderful helper and almost got to be quite independent. But now that I am back... Just last night I had a hair session with my 'french maid' and she quite spoiled me! I missed the pleasure while I was on vacation.

For those of you who don't know about my hair, let me explain a bit. When I was born I didn't have any hair. Well how many babies have a full head of hair when they are born? But you see, it didn't look like I had any hair until after I had passed my 2nd birthday! Yeah, pretty scary! It didn't help of course that my hair came in a very light blond color before it darkened. Before I was old enough to do my hair it was cut in a 'page-boy' style. When I took control of it I liked it as long as I could get it. I think I was making up for how little hair I had in my early years.

My younger sister was the first one to convince me to 'do' something with my hair other than trimming it every 6-12 months. (Yes I did get a perm about 4 yrs ago and all I can plead is temporary insanity because I didn't know how to take care of it, and got the wrong kind!) Always I have enjoyed people doing my hair. I think Beka got tired of the monotony of my hair, especially when she would do it! She is the one who helped me get passed the gut-clenching worry of "what if they cut it too short".

How did I get stuck on hair? There are many things I could say about my little sister, and not all of them are about my referring to her as a french maid. :) She is a very godly, conscientious young lady with whom I share a room, and my life! I love you girl!!

So when started writing this post, it was a humorous story about the way I enjoy my 'french maid'. As I kept writing, I had to give credit where credit was due!

5 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Anna yousa makin' me tear up! Wherever would I be without a big sis to make over?? Not to mention all the very substantial (and appreciated) stuff you do. Like carting me all over town on your breaks, paying for I don't know how much stuff...letting me BORROW all your treasured personal items!!! Lovings!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I am jealous! I wish I had someone to do my hair...I get do tired of it most days!
This made me smile! I hope you never loose your connection no matter how for apart life takes you in the years to come.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Who said anything about life taking us in different directions? That makes me sad--I won't have that kind of talk!! I can't imagine my "sis 'n' me" ever being anything but close...=)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Ohhhh!
So very precious-can I cry too?

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anna!! You met me a while back at a OCRC game night in burlington. And guess what I have a personal hair dresser to. And her name is also Rebecca. She isssssssssssss my two almost three year old sister. And she makes my hair just beautiful. And after she is done I spend a good 15 minutes brushing the knots out of my hair.
But I love it when she does my hair.
Gloria Drake

 

Post a Comment

<< Home