Friday, July 22, 2005

Baking

Has anyone of my readers ever tried to make anything with phyllo dough? As a warning to those who have not...be prepared for the long haul! For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about phyllo dough is extremely thin (basically paper thin) sheets of dough that you can get in various sizes. The phyllo dough that I was working with was "Approx. 14 X 18". For those of you who do know what phyllo dough is, please ignore the explanation above. :)

Last night I started to make some baklava at about 9:30. Had I known how long it was going to take I don't think I would have even thought about starting it. I didn't get to bed until after 12. Most of that time was spent assembling the baklava. (Baklava is a very sticky, layered pastry, made with nuts, cinnamon, and of course phyllo dough and sweetened with honey) When you take the sheets of phyllo dough out of their packaging you have to keep them covered with a damp paper towel so that they will not dry out. And then there is the difficulty of pulling them apart. I had to pull very slowly or I ended up tearing holes in the sheets. The sheets of course have to be put in the pan one at a time, brush it with butter, put another sheet on, brush w/ butter sprinkle with some of the nut mixture, and then repeat the whole process all over again. And again, and again...till you have used up all of your 22 sheets. My brother-in-law Joel would be so proud of me! The baklava itself turned out very good!!!

This was the first time I had ever used phyllo dough so I don't know if the sheets sticking together and ripping was normal and just part of baking with it, or whether a better experience is in store for me, if I ever decide to use it again!

Aren't you all so proud of me! I posted twice in two days!!

6 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I am overcome. I am all astonishment. Excellent sissy--keep it up.

"You're getting the hang of it, I'll be back later to check on your work." -Jim

(Ha HA ha Ha!)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Anna,
I am indeed proud of you for posting so often!

About the Phillo dough, the damp covering, the difficulty seperating the layers and the tearing are all par for the course when using it. I have never made Baklava but I have made other layered things with it and they always taste great but it is a pain to work with for sure. I am glad it turned out well after all that trouble!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Gloria said...

I have never heard of Phyllo dough or Baklava. It sounds really good. Even if it is hard to bake.

*gasp* two posts in two days!! Its not hard is it?

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you send me some baklava, please? hee-hee

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

I LOVE Baklava!!!!! It is my most favorite desert. Once I ate 9 pieces I think (a long time ago). I remember Mom being horrified at how much I was able to consume.
You should try it Gloria!! You'll adore it!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Anna said...

9 pieces!!!!!!!! Kristi how could you manage it?! I shall have to bring you a piece. When do you think I shall next see you? In the pan that I made, ended up with 4 doz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home